Vaginal pH we've all heard of it. But what is it really + how does it effect us? Our Juniel Junkies ask us these questions all the time. While we're still developing the perfect system to keep your kitty's clean all + fresh all day long, we've provided some easy natural + affordable solutions you can do in the meantime. Let's quickly dive in to what you need to know about your pH + how to keep it naturally balanced.
What is Vaginal pH?
Let's take it from the top. What is pH anyway? Most of us have learned it in school, but here's a refresher. pH measures how alkaline or acidic a substance is. This is measured on a scale of 0-14. Any substance with a pH measuring between 0-6 is acidic, anything greater than 7 is alkaline. School lesson over. Now what does this have to do with your vagina?
What Should my Vaginal pH be?
A typical healthy vaginal pH is between 3.8 - 4.5 (for women who have not yet went through menopause, if you have completed menopause your vaginal pH is typically greater but please consult with your Ob/Gyn). pH measurements above 4.5 allow conditions for bacteria to grow + can cause an unpleasant smell or discharge. But how do you know your pH measurement? Here are some general issues that if you're dealing with, may point to your pH being too high:
- unpleasant smell
- itching or discomfort
- green, white, or gray discharge (your discharge should be clear)
- discomfort while urinating
*If experiencing any of these issues please consult with your Ob/Gyn for the safest course of action.
What Causes a High pH?
Most things we generally think are okay + helping our vaginas smell good, are actually doing the opposite + throwing off our pH. Here's some things you want to avoid to keep your kitty in balance:
- using soaps (even vaginal soaps) inside the vaginal area, any soap should only be used on the outside area of the vagina & only water should touch the vulva (inside of your vagina) even in the shower
- using vaginal wipes inside the vulva
- unprotected sex
- using a douche
- menstrual periods (not much we can do about this unfortunately)
- not drinking an adequate amount of water and/or drinking large amounts of soda or alcohol
So What Can I Do?
Here's some natural remedies you can practice at home to keep your vagina fresh + clean. We always recommend if you are experiencing any issues with the vagina to consult the professionals & schedule an appointment with your Ob/Gyn. But here's a few quick + easy tips, some easier than you ever imagined.
- WATER! Drink it daily, 11.5 cups (2.7 liters) + also use it daily to refresh your vagina in the bath or shower (avoid bubble baths or bath bombs that are not specifically pH balanced)
- Eat yogurt. Yogurt has beneficial bacteria that can keep your vaginal pH balanced throughout the day. A yogurt a day keeps the doctor away!
- Condoms. We hope all of our Junkies are being safe, but even if you have one partner this is paramount. Semen is highly alkaline + throws off your pH balance.
- Probiotics. Taking a daily probiotic is a great way to keep your pH balanced. Many women swear by cranberry supplements, just make sure it has probiotics. They are easy to obtain over the counter at any grocery or drugstore without a prescription.
- Rose Water. Don't want to use just regular water? Using homemade rose water can be a great alternative + provide a light floral scent throughout the day. Use chemical free grown roses + boil petals in water. Let cool for 24 hours then viola! Use within the week + keep refigertanted.
- Clothing. Avoid wearing tight clothing for long periods of time. Vaginas need oxygen. Try going commando for an hour or two following a shower, we won't tell if you won't.
To keep it short + sweet: drink water, wear condoms, let your kitty breathe, + nothing up there but water! I hope this helps our Junkies + if you have any additional questions or tips you'd like to share, leave them below!